The Montjuïc Cemetery is a unique place, to be sure, with unusual and modernist graves.
Opened in March of 1883, Montjuïc is the biggest cemetery in Barcelona. It’s placed on the top of Montjuïc, which itself is a nice little mountain beneath the Mediterranean sea. You can find there famous graves in the cemetery, like those of Catalan leader Lluis Companys (1882-1940), Spanish anarchist militant Buenaventura Durruti (1896-1936), artist Joan Miró (1893-1983), and many more. If you walk to the top you can see a crematorium from Roman times. The journey to the crematorium is a very long walk. It takes more than 3 hours to tour the entire cemetery.
In a silent western wing of the cemetery is el Fossar de la Pedrera (the Grave of the Quarry). An estimated 4,000 people were buried there after their execution by the Franco regime following the fall of Barcelona to fascist forces during the Spanish Civil War. The quarry contains memorials to the victims of fascism and the holocaust, Lluis Companys (the last president of Catalunya before the civil war) and, recently, a monument commemorating the aspirations of the social revolution of 1936. El Fossar de la Pedrera is a moving and melancholy place.
Walking through beautiful modernist graves, surrounded by pines and watching the sea. Experiencing this cemetery is widely considered to be one of the most enjoyable experiences in Barcelona.
The Cementiri de Montjuïc is a little difficult to reach. The easiest way to get there is to take the 21 bus from the Jardins de Walter Benjamin at the Place de les Drassanes, near (but not at) the southern end of Las Ramblas. But bus will stop at the bottom of the cemetery, after which the 107 bus can take you to the top–this is advantageous as the cemetery is nearly vertical! The more adventurous approach would be to walk about Montjuic until coming across the cemetery from the top. If you do that, do not assume you can walk back toward Las Ramblas/along the sea front. It's all closed off for the Port Authority and there are no safe footpaths along or near the highway after the bus stop.
The Abandoned Zoo enclosures offer a perfect place to experience the other side of the bars
In a quiet area of Griffith Park in Los Angeles, you can picnic in a bear grotto and climb inside abandoned monkey cages. If you have ever wondered what you appear like to the animals in the zoo, this abandoned LA zoo is your chance to find out.
The site of the first Los Angeles zoo, it opened in 1912 with 15 animals. Many of the enclosures were built in the 1930s by Works Progress Administration crews and were made in the iron bars/pacing animal-style that was standard for zoos of that era. The zoo was abandoned in 1966 when the current LA zoo opened.
Today the cave enclosures are outfitted with picnic benches and grills. A trail leading up from the caves gives you a zookeeper’s view of the lion’s den and leads to ever more abandoned cages, offering an eerie feeling of what it is like to be on the other side of the bars.
Know Before You Go
The picnic area is just a little hard to find, and well it should be to preserve this historic site. From Crystal Springs Drive/Griffith Park Drive, turn west at Griffith Park Drive (this is not a typo, heading north, the name Griffith Park Drive makes a hard left as the pavement continues straight and changes name to Crystal Springs Drive. If going south, watch for the Griffith Park Drive sign and turn right). Watch closely for the sign a few hundred feet after the turn. The parking area is on the left.
Dropped Pin near 5400 Griffith Park Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90027
This is the exact location if the parking lot too the old zoo if you have trouble finding it!
During prohibition, corrupt city officials ran drinking dens under the streets of Downtown Los Angeles.
Despite prohibition laws, 11 miles of service tunnels became passageways to basement speakeasies with innocuous fronts above ground. Patrons were able to move about under the city, boozing it up without a care in the world, while the Mayor’s office ran the supply of hootch.
King Eddy Saloon, an establishment that has been alive and kicking on 5th and Main since the 1900s, hid in plain sight fronting as a piano store. Luckily, local officials took no issue with King Eddy’s sudden interest in music, and the business not only survived, but prospered. Now an official saloon once more, its basement still remains part of the tunnel system, littered with crumbling brick lines and graffiti murals.
Aside from the service tunnels, there are also abandoned subway and equestrian tunnels from the days before personal vehicles began clogging up LA’s city streets. There are stories of these tunnels being used by police to transport prisoners, bank security to move large sums of cash safely, and both coroners and mobsters to store bodies. Now they are mostly closed off, but some are still accessible and are used as film locations, easy shortcuts by city employees between buildings, and a place for runners to train on the rare occasion of bad weather.
To explore the former highway of the LA underground, you must slip behind the Hall of Records on Temple Street and locate an easy-to-miss elevator. You’ll be transported down into a subterranean passage filled with mysterious street art, rusted machinery, and iron gates that limit your exploration to areas deemed earthquake safe. Officially, the tunnels are closed to the public.
The Riddle House was built in 1905 and is located in Yesteryear Village, Palm Beach County Florida. However, the village is not it’s original location. Riddle House was originally built in palm beach, but after many years of neglect, the city planned to demolish the historic victorian home. A nephew of a former owner decided that the old house shouldn’t be torn down and moved it to Yesteryear Village, where it still sits today. So what makes Riddle House important to ghost hunters and paranormal fans alike?
Haunted History of The Riddle House
The Riddle House was originally built and used as a funeral parlor. The parlor was adjacent to Woodlawn Cemetery. It wasn’t long before the old cemetery became host to crimes such as grave robbing. The Riddle House was then converted into the “Gatekeepers Cottage” which housed cemetery employees that were in charge of security and other things needed at the cemetery. it was during this time that a cemetery employee known only as “Buck” was allegedly killed during an argument on the cemetery grounds. Locals would report seeing the ghost of Buck, who seemed to be continuing his work at Woodlawn cemetery.
Later in 1920, Karl Riddle, who was serving as city manager and supervisor of Woodlawn Cemetery, moved into the rumored haunted house and made it his own private residence. This is when the Riddle House received it’s name and was no longer known as the Gatekeepers Cottage.
Soon after, The Riddle House witnessed it’s first tragedy as a groundsman by the name of “Joseph”, hung himself in the attic. This was around the time of the great depression and Joseph had become depressed over financial woes. Visitors to the Riddle House started to have strange experiences and would often report seeing the shadow of a man through the attic windows. Many believed that this was the ghost or spirit of Joseph, the former groundskeeper who had hung himself.
It didn’t take Karl Riddle long to notice the paranormal activity within the home. Stairs would creak as if something was being dragged up the old stairs. Workers would report voices, strange noises and sometimes even being touched by unseen hands. After awhile, Karl and his family left the home and a number of businesses attempted to make the old haunted house their own. Everyone who inhabited the house was faced with the same scary, unexplainable and ghostly activity as previous tenants.
In the 1980’s the Riddle House was used as a girls dormitory for Palm Beach Atlantic College, but that didn’t last long either. Soon there was nobody willing to try moving into or using the riddle house. It sat unattended and it eventually started to deteriorate. The city decided to destroy it and that is when John Riddle, Karl’s nephew stepped in.
The city donated the house to John and he had the home moved to Yesteryear Village, which consists of historic homes that have been moved from their original location, or ones built exactly like homes that were destroyed in the local area. The moving of Riddle House is what many say “awakened” the ghosts and spirits within the home. Many paranormal investigators will tell you that construction and renovations to a home seem to disturb any ghosts that my reside in the home. That is exactly what seemed to happen to the old Riddle House.
Visitors to the home have had their hair pulled, heard disembodied voices, witnessed ghostly apparitions and more within the home. Workers who helped move the home had so many terrifying experiences that some of them never returned to work. One of the most interesting cases involved the ladders. Ladder that were left up overnight were found knocked over. Sometimes the ladders would be moved completely. This is believed to be connected to Joseph who had hung himself by kicking the ladder from underneath his own feet in the attic. One carpenter had the lid from an iron pot hurled at his head and hasn’t entered the riddle house since.
Things being thrown have become common at the home and many people are afraid to even go inside. This has prompted numerous paranormal investigations, by people wanting to prove that the ghosts of Riddle House are real. The Riddle House has been the center of investigations, television spots and more since it’s humble beginnings in 1905 and is undoubtedly one of the most haunted places in Florida.
The Star of India sailing ship is docked at the Maritime Museum of San Diego.
The Star of India (originally known as The Euterpe), the oldest working sailing ship, is described as an 1863 era iron, ship-rigged, sailing ship, with a long life history being used in the merchant trade business, hauling cargo, transporting immigrants, etc. It has a plain bluff bow and a full stern with windows. The original ship, The Euterpe, was a full-rigged ship, which meant it was a square rigged sailing ship with three or more masts, all of them square rigged.
However, The Euterpe was modernized in 1901 and given a barque sailing system, as a result of having new owners. This system resulted in superior all-around performance with far smaller and less skilled crews. This mast and sail arrangement has 3 masts, fore and aft sails on the aftermost mast and square sails on all other masts.
The top inside level of the Star of India housed the captain and his top crew managers, the captain's office, their eating area, etc.
The in-between level, between the top level and the bottom area of the hull housed the crew and passengers in rather close quarters.
The original ship, The Euterpe, named for a Greek goddess, was built in the shipyard at Ramsey in the Isle of Man, England in 1863. It was one of the first ships made of iron, as most ships of the day were made of wood. The company who built her immediately put her to work as a cargo ship in the Indian jute trade. The Euterpe had a rough first voyage, suffering both a ship fender bender collision and an attempted mutiny!
The second voyage was a hair raiser as well. The Euterpe was caught up in a nasty cyclone in the Bay of Bengal, but she managed to limp into port, after having to cut away her topmasts! The stress caught up with The Euterpe's first captain who died on board soon afterward.
After 4 more successful, uneventful trips to India as a cargo ship, The Euterpe was sold in 1871 to the Shaw Savill Line of London. For the next 25 years, the ship brought emigrants, a tough, hardy lot, to New Zealand, Australia, California and Chile, making 21 trips, through all kinds of weather.
In 1894, The Euterpe was chartered by explorer Archibald Campion for his polar expedition, because of the ship's iron hull, and because the ship had both crew quarters and cargo holds. Interestingly, Archibald brought along his own invention, an electric motor with a variety of interesting attachments, which allowed the crew to power the ship through the ice and also provided light and heat.
In 1898, The Euterpe was sold to an American company, The Alaska Packers. After being modernized with a barque sailing system mentioned above in 1902, The Euterpe began sailing from Oakland, Calif. to the Bering Sea during the Spring, with fishermen, cannery workers, box shook and tin plate on board. When they returned in the following Fall, they brought back canned salmon.
In 1906, The Alaska Packer renamed The Euterpe, calling her The Star of India.
By 1923, sailing ships were replaced with more reliable steam ships, so The Star of India was taken out of service and was "laid up". Her future looked grim until a group of San Diegans, led by reporter Jerry MacMullen, raised $9,000 dollars to buy The Star of India and had her towed to San Diego in 1926. A grand restoration was planned for the ship, but then the depression came, followed by WW2.
So, for 30 years, The Star of India sat there, slowly deteriorating into a tattered image of its former self. Luckily, The Star of India's fate was changed yet again, this time by an experienced, highly thought of windjammer skipper, Captain Alan Villers, who while on a speaking tour came to San Diego, in 1957.
Seeing the bedraggled state of The Star of India, the now incensed Captain Alan let all of San Diego know how upset he was that the people had neglected such a great ship for so long, making a lot of people very ashamed of themselves. A fund was established to collect money for its restoration. Skilled workmen who had experience from working on the waterfront volunteered and began to repair the aging hulk, making other much needed repairs.
The oldest known entity is believed to be a young man by the name of John Campbell. It seems that in 1884, John Campbell, a teen-aged boy seeking adventure, stowed away on The Euterpe. He was eventually discovered and put to work to earn his keep. While tending to the masts, about 100 feet above the deck, his foot slipped and he fell to the deck below, breaking both legs. He died 3 days later in great pain.
Sometimes when the living stand near the mast where young John fell off, they feel a cold hand touch them, as to warn them not to climb the mast, or perhaps just to let them know of his presence
A horrible accident happened in the anchor chain locker, a dark storage compartment located below the main deck, toward the bow of the ship. A Chinese crewman was in this locker area going about his business when crewmen on the deck above began to start the machinery to raise the anchor. The chain filled the anchor chain storage locker, slowly crushing the Chinese crewman to death. No one heard his screams because of the noise of the machines and chains!
In the area around the chain locker a persistent cold spot is often noticed by the living.
Some crewmen throughout the years suffered horrible accidents, and some wasted away from fatal illnesses, spending their last hours alive in the cramped crew quarters where they died.
A sense of fear and anxiety as well as cold spots and a chilly room temperature are reported by the living and psychic-sensitive people, when they visit the crew's quarters.
An entity is still busy in The Star of India's kitchen, which has not been used in years.
Pots and pans have moved by themselves, with no help from the living.
The smell of freshly baked bread sometimes fills the kitchen and dining area.
Chicago is a city filled with ghosts, from haunted houses to ghostly graveyards. But of all of the tales, there is one that rises above all of the others. I like to think of Resurrection Mary as Chicago’s most famous ghost. It is also probably my favorite ghost story of all time. It has all of the elements of the fantastic from the beautiful female spirit to actual eyewitness sightings that have yet to be debunked. There is much about the story that appeals to me and I never tire of hearing or talking about Mary, her sightings and her mysterious origins.
Although stories of "vanishing hitchhikers" in Chicago date back to the horse and buggy days, Mary’s tale begins in the 1930’s. It was around this time that drivers along Archer Avenue started reporting strange encounters with a young woman in a white dress. She always appeared to be real, until she would inexplicably vanish. The reports of this girl began in the middle 1930’s and started when motorists passing by Resurrection Cemetery began claiming that a young woman was attempting to jump onto the running boards of their automobiles.
Not long after, the woman became more mysterious, and much more alluring. The strange encounters began to move further away from the graveyard and closer to the O Henry Ballroom, which is now known as the Willowbrook. She was now reported on the nearby roadway and sometimes, inside of the ballroom itself. On many occasions, young men would meet a girl at the ballroom, dance with her and then offer her a ride home at the end of the evening. She would always accept and offer vague directions that would lead north on Archer Avenue. When the car would reach the gates of Resurrection Cemetery, the young woman would always vanish.
More common were the claims of motorists who would see the girl walking along the road. They would offer her a ride and then witness her vanishing from their car. These drivers could describe the girl in detail and nearly every single description precisely matched the previous accounts. The girl was said to have light blond hair, blue eyes and was wearing a white party dress. Some more attentive drivers would sometimes add that she wore a thin shawl, or dancing shoes, and that she had a small clutch purse
The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Alberta, Canada, has been welcoming guests for over 125 years. The Castle of Rockies as its fondly known, has seen many guests pass through its doors, some famous and some royal, but guests of another kind still walk its halls…
During the construction of the original wooden hotel, there was a big error from the contractor. A room was built with no windows or doors, a fact that wasn’t ever shared with the hotel owner. The room was only discovered after a fire broke out in 1926. Since then, apparitions are often seen roaming the hall outside this room.
This room was reportedly the scene of a tragic murder of a family. Its door has since been bricked up and made to look like the rest of the wall in the hallway. Guests have reported seeing apparitions outside this room, possibly members of the family that were reported to have been murdered here.
The Burning Bride
Stories suggest a woman dressed in her wedding gown lost her life on the staircase. There were candles on the staircase when the bride was walking up them, when suddenly her dress caught fire, in a panic she tripped and fell down the stairs, dying from a broken neck. Many people have reported seeing her ghost in full wedding gown, often dancing in the ballroom. Guests and staff have in some cases witnessed the flames from her dress as she dances. Others have witnessed the woman on the staircase where she lost her life.
Staff have also reported strange noises coming from the bridal suite, even when the suite is vacant.
Perhaps the most popular of all the ghost at the Banff Springs is Sam Macauley. He was a bellman at the hotel in the 60’s – 70’s. Although not much is known about how or where he died, his ghost is said to haunt the hotel to this day. He has been known to appear in his 1960’s uniform, helping guests get into locked rooms, turn on room lights, or help with carrying bags. He often witnessed on the 9th floor. If you try to start a conversation or attempt to tip Sam, he will vanish.
As well as the more popular reports above, the hotel has a little more to offer too! The apparition of a bartender has been witnessed by staff and guests alike, often informing guests that they have drank a little too much and perhaps it’s best of they go to bed! Perhaps more spectacular is the apparition of a headless man playing the bagpipes!
The Banff Springs Hotel in Alberta, Canada, was built in 1888, and was originally a wooden structure. It was built out of necessity when the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) stretched westwards, a high class hotel was needed for people travelling along the root.
The Vice President of the CPR [William Van Horne] saw the hotel not only as a stop off point, but also a world class travel destination. With its breathtaking mountain scenery and natural hot springs, it had a lot to be proud of. There was a major fire in 1926 that completely devastated the building, and a complete reconstruction was carried out. The new construction was to be loosely based on a Scottish castle, with the towers and stone walls.
The Banff Springs enjoyed an upsurge in popularity in the 1930’s, when celebrities and royalty began flocking to the hotel. It quickly became known as the Castle of the Rockies.
Although this house was once the home of famous pirate Jean Laffite, it is the ghost of another notorious pirate, known as Captain Flint, who haunts the place. It is said that as he lay on his deathbed, he kept calling to his First Mate, Darby McGraw, to bring him more rum. Today, his cries are still heard by visitors to the restaurant that now occupies the house. His scar-faced phantom has also been seen roaming in the basement tunnel. The tunnel, big enough to drive a bus through, was discovered during renovations. It leads to the river and probably served as an escape route for pirates trying to make it back to the sea. (Pirate's House is at the corner of East Broad and Bay Streets. The address is 20 East Broad Street, Savannah, GA 31401. Phone: 912-233-5757.)
Asheley's Restaurant. The ghost of a young girl, dressed in Roaring-Twenties clothing, haunts the ladies room here. Her likeness emerges from one of the stalls or appears in the mirrors. Several women have reported feeling a choking sensation when phappying through the corridor to the Ladies Room. The ghost ventures to other places in the Tudor-style building, only to break dinnerware in the Kitchen, turn lights on and off in the Bar, or shove customers from behind in the Dining Room. She is thought to be either the spirit of Ethyl Allen, brutally murdered in a storage room here in the 1920s, or the ghost of a young woman who died in a car accident on Highway 1 in front of the restaurant. Dozens of employees and customers have reported apparitions over the years, and sightings have increased since 1979. A 1993 investigation documented a variety of phenomena, including a swirling mhappy of ghostlike energy recorded on a thermographic camera. (Rockledge is on the east central coast, 12 miles north of Melbourne on U.S. Hwy 1. Ethyl Allen's burned and mutilated body was found at Eau Gallie, on the banks of the Indian River. Asheley's Restaurant is at 1609 South U.S. Hwy 1, Rockledge, FL 32955. Phone: 407-636-6430.)
This Pringle-shaped ledge makes for the perfect photo op.
Those who approach the summit of southern California’s Mount Woodson will be rewarded with an unexpected geological surprise. The bizarre rock formation of Potato Chip Rock near the city of Ramona, California appears to be the result of a colossal giant dropping his can of Pringles, and it makes for the perfect photo op.
Potato Chip Rock is a thin ledge jutting off of a cliff on the Mount Woodson Trail in Ramona, which stretches eight miles through the dry landscape. Those who are brave enough to walk across the ledge will appear to levitate above the ground below, as if on a magic carpet made of stone.
Naturally, hundreds of creative photos have been taken atop the rock. One group of friends has replicated the scene of Simba’s birth in The Lion King, while others have attempted extreme yoga positions. Daredevils have hung off the rock’s edge by their bare hands, jokesters have ironically eaten a bag of Lays on the rock, and the ledge has even been the site of a marriage proposal.
These beautiful ruins deep in the Pennsylvania woods are thought to have been a ski lodge or a speakeasy, but no one really knows.
These beautiful ruins near Devil’s Hole Creek deep in the Pennsylvania woods are thought to have been a ski lodge or a speakeasy, but to this day, no one really knows what previously stood at this now crumbling site..
The mysterious ruins are located on Pennsylvania State Gamelands # 221 in Paradise Valley just outside the town of Cresco. There is much to explore, but the highlight is the very large double fireplaces that obviously warmed multiple floors of the former structure. There is also what appears to be a wood or coal furnace and what looks like a water boiler.
While it looks like the original structure was built and remodeled in different decades—there are remnants of stone, concrete and cinder blocks—it’s possible that it was all built at the same time as all these materials were available during the 1920s and 30s. Some locals believe the ruins was originally a speakeasy from the Prohibition era.
Whatever it was, it’s suspected that the building met its demise in the mid-1950s, either by a large fire or possibly a flood. One of the local legends is that there was a bottomless lake in the area and anyone who swam in it sank and went to Hell—hence the name “Devil’s Hole.” The lake is said to have disappeared after the large flood that hit the area in 1955.
The Confederacy is still celebrated by descendants of the thousands of Southerners that fled to São Paulo after the Civil War.
As Confederate monuments are coming down in the Southern United States, even further south, in South America, the Confederacy lives on in a different way.
Every year, the Festa Confederada (Confederate Party) is held in Santa Barbara d’Oeste, north of São Paulo, to commemorate the Confederate ancestry of the approximately 10,000 to 20,000 Southerners who fled the U.S. for Brazil after the Civil War, establishing a colony that became known as Americana.
Known as “Confederados,” they immigrated to Brazil between 1865 and 1885 rather than live under the influence of the Northern states or risk prosecution for treason. The Brazilian emperor Dom Pedro II, hoping to boost the country’s cotton production, sweetened the deal by offering cheap land and a consistent way of life: Brazil was the largest importer of slaves in the Western Hemisphere and did not abolish slavery until 1888, the last country in the Americas to do so.
Over the generations, the ex-pats intermarried, became intermixed in the culture, and spread all throughout Brazil, while retaining some of the cultural traditions from the early United States. Portuguese is the dominant language at the Festa Confederada, but the festivities include traditional Southern dress—including hoop skirts and Confederate uniforms—food, music, and dancing on a floor decorated with the Confederate flag.
The celebrations that take place each year at the Campo Cemetery, a.k.a “the Cemetery of the Americans” (originally founded because non-Catholic Confederados could not be buried in Brazil’s cemeteries) celebrate this heritage. However, especially in today’s political climate, the racial implications of celebrating the Confederate South can’t be ignored. Some festival attendees don’t realize that the Confederate flag is a symbol of slavery and racism in much of the United States, while others hold that it signifies very different things in Brazil.
Stenciled handprints and wall paintings dating back 10,000 years, some of the earliest forms of cave art.
Las Cueva de las Manos is tucked in the valley of the Pinturas River, in an isolated spot of the Argentine Patagonia, accessible via long gravel dirt roads. The trip can be rough, but is undoubtably worth it: It leads you to some of the earliest known forms of human art, dating back roughly 10,000 years.
The prehistoric artwork painted on the walls of this desert cave is not only ancient, but beautiful. There are three distinct styles to be seen, believed to have been created by different peoples at different time periods. But the highlight is what gives Las Cueva de las Manos, or “Cave of Hands,” its name: the hundreds of colorful handprints stencilled along the cave’s walls.
The hand paintings are dated to around 5,000 BC. It’s believed these cave dwellers stencilled their own hands using bone-made pipes to create the silhouettes. Most of the prints are of left hands, indicating that they probably held the spraying pipe in their right hands. The artists used different mineral pigments to make different colors—iron oxides for red and purple, kaolin for white, natrojarosite for yellow, and manganese oxide for black.
There are also hunting scenes and representations of animals and human life found in the cave, dating back even further than the stencilled hands, to around 7300 BC. The hunter-gatherers who lived in the caves at this time created art depicting the pursuit of prey, the most common of which was the guanaco, a type of llama. A favorite hunting tool was the bola, where interconnected cords with weights on either end were thrown to trap the legs of the animal. A third category of art was discovered, too, with paintings depicting animals and humans in a more stylized and minimalist fashion, done largely in red pigments.
Through all these varied forms of cave art, studied layer by layer, we get a peek into the lives of those who lived in the caves, thought to have last been inhabited by the ancestors of the Tehuelche people of the Patagonian desert. It was first explored by researchers in 1949, and more extensive studies were conducted in the 1960s. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1999.
A pastime for the paranoid who would refuse to believe they'd tied their own shoelaces unless they had photographic evidence and twelve witness testimonies. Because Youtube is now a super safe space where no bad words can be said we'll have to be careful how we phrase this particular entry. In 2013 NSA contractor Edward Snowden sent 41 Powerpoint slides to journalists at The Washington Post and The Guardian, and in doing so he proved one of the most shocking conspiracies of our generation to be 100% true.Intelligence agencies have been in the spotlight lately with the sacking of FBI Director James Comey and reports of a failed CIA plot to assassinate Kim Jong Un. In 1932 workers at the Johns Manville Company attempted to sue their employer after many of them contracted cancer and life-threatening respiratory diseases due to working with asbestos, which was the basis for many of Johns Manville's products. Throughout the 50's and 60's the CIA used their influence on the press to suppress their many illicit activities, and the most shocking of them all was MK ULTRA.